Are you someone who's always been drawn to window displays and enjoys browsing through beautifully arranged store shelves? Well, who isn’t?
Visual merchandising is all about bringing a brand to life and creating an unforgettable shopping experience for customers.
Think about it, when you walk into a store and see an eye-catching display, doesn't it immediately grab your attention and make you want to take a closer look?
That's the power of visual merchandising!
So, get ready to dive into the exciting world of visual merchandising, and see how you can use it to elevate your brand and create an unforgettable shopping experience for your customers!
What Is Merchandising?
Let’s begin with what is merchandising.
Merchandising refers to the process of promoting and selling products through effective display and presentation.
It involves creating an attractive and engaging environment that encourages customers to purchase products.
For example, imagine a local bakery in Pakistan wanting to sell more of its delicious cupcakes.
The bakery owner decides to invest in merchandising by creating an eye-catching display in the front window of the store.
The display features a colorful array of cupcakes arranged on a tiered stand, with signage highlighting the bakery's most popular flavors.
The display is designed to be appealing and engaging, with bright colors, attractive packaging, and clear pricing information.
The goal is to draw customers into the store and encourage them to purchase the bakery's cupcakes.
This example illustrates how merchandising can be used to promote and sell products by creating an attractive and engaging shopping experience.
The bakery owner is using merchandising techniques to increase visibility, drive sales, and ultimately boost profits.
Elements Of Visual Merchandising
Visual merchandising is all about creating a memorable shopping experience for customers.
Let's take a closer look at what these components are:
- Product Display: This is the most important aspect of visual merchandising as it showcases the products being sold. Product displays can be anything from shelves, racks, and mannequins to tables and counters. Use displays purposefully.
- Lighting: Good lighting can make all the difference in a display. Use it to highlight certain products, create a mood, and influence the shopper's perceptions.
- Props: Props can be used to create a specific theme or atmosphere, and can include anything from furniture and rugs to flowers and plants. Use them where required.
- Mannequins: Mannequins are a popular tool in visual merchandising as they allow customers to see how products look when worn or used.
- Color: Color is a powerful tool in visual merchandising as it can evoke certain emotions and create a mood. Use traditional or contemporary, but keep it meaningful.
- Signage: Signage includes posters, banners, and labels that provide information about products and promotions. Keep it simple, clear, and consistent with the overall visual merchandising theme.
- Flooring: The flooring used in a store can also have a big impact on the overall visual merchandising scheme. Use it to create a sense of flow, draw attention to certain areas, and even influence the shopper's mood.
- Seasonal Displays: Seasonal displays are a key component of visual merchandising, as they allow retailers to capitalize on seasonal trends and events, such as Eid. Seasonal displays should be eye-catching and relevant to the time of year.
- Product Information: Providing clear and comprehensive product information is essential for any visual merchandising display. Keep it clear and easy to read.
- Design Decisions: These include choosing the right products for a display, deciding on the layout and arrangement of products, and selecting the right props and signage. How to make design decisions? Just keep the target audience, the products being sold, and the overall visual merchandising theme in mind.
- Bundling: Bundling is a visual merchandising technique that involves grouping complementary products together and offering them as a package deal. This technique can be particularly effective in increasing sales and can also help to streamline the shopping experience for customers.
Visual Merchandising At A Summer Clothing Store In Pakistan
Imagine a fashion retailer in Pakistan launching a new line of summer clothing in 2023.
The retailer, Ali, wants to create a visual display that will draw customers into the store and showcase the new products in an attractive and engaging way.
Ali starts by selecting a prominent location in the store, such as the front window or a high-traffic aisle, to serve as the centerpiece of the display.
He then creates a beach-themed setting using props, such as sand, beach chairs, and umbrellas.
The new summer clothing is arranged on mannequins and displayed in an eye-catching way, with the most popular items placed front and center.
Ali also uses lighting to enhance the overall look and feel of the display. He places spotlights on the mannequins to draw attention to the clothing and uses ambient lighting to create a warm and inviting atmosphere.
Finally, Ali and his team also use signs and graphics to provide product information and emphasize key features of the clothing.
Finishing touches to top it all! They further add some summary vibes through music and scents, to create a total sensory experience for customers.
The final display is inviting and attractive to anyone who crosses Ali’s store. The hard work pays off with an increase in sales!
According to a survey, 85% of customers reported that visual merchandising influences their purchasing decisions.
10 ways to improve visual merchandising
1. Know your target audience
Understanding your target audience is key to creating effective visual merchandising displays. Consider their age, interests, and purchasing habits when deciding on products, layout, and design.
2. Keep it organized
Does your store look like a storm ran around it? This may be bad news.
A cluttered and disorganized display can be off-putting to customers. The good news is that you can arrange them in an easy-to-navigate way rather easily!
3. Use color to your advantage
Bright pinks or pastel greens? Color can greatly impact the look and feel of a display. Consider using a consistent color scheme throughout the store, or selecting colors that are consistent with the season or holiday.
4. Make use of lighting
Wondering where to put that lamp? Should the light be warm or bright? Proper lighting can make all the difference in a visual merchandising display. Ensure that your products are well-lit and that the overall lighting in the store is bright and inviting.
5. Create eye-catching window displays
Windows are the heart of a store! With an attractive window display, you can actually pull in walkers past your store right into the store!
6. Utilize technology
Technology such as digital displays and interactive displays can greatly enhance the customer experience. Consider incorporating these elements into your visual merchandising scheme.
7. Focus on product placement
Product placement is key to an effective visual merchandising display. Consider the height and position of products, and use props and signage to draw attention to key items.
8. Keep displays fresh and updated
Regularly updating your visual merchandising displays can keep customers engaged and interested. Consider changing your displays seasonally or for special events.
In conclusion, improving visual merchandising involves considering a range of factors, from the target audience and product placement to the use of technology and attention to detail.
By implementing these 8 tips, retailers can create visually appealing and effective displays that invite customers and drive sales.
Visual Merchandising: A Principle Of Marketing
If you are enjoying setting up your store and getting results, you already know that visual merchandising is an important principle of marketing.
Here are some of the ways visual merchandising plays a role in marketing principles:
- Enhancing the customer experience: A well-designed visual merchandising display can attract customers and increase foot traffic in a store. According to a survey, 94% of shoppers reported that visual merchandising is a significant factor in determining whether they enter a store or not.
- Driving sales: A well-designed visual merchandising display can attract customers and drive sales.
- Communicating brand identity: Visual merchandising can be used to communicate a brand's identity and values.
- Building brand awareness: Effective visual merchandising can help to build brand awareness and establish a brand's presence in the market.
- Higher customer satisfaction: A survey found that 70% of customers reported that they were more likely to return to a store with visually appealing displays. By investing in visual merchandising, retailers can create a positive and memorable shopping experience for their customers, which can help to build brand loyalty and drive sales.
Is Visual Merchandising For You?
If you are just starting out on your journey as a seller, you may be asking several questions from yourself: Kia dukaan banana asaan bhi hai? (Is it that easy to make a shop?)
While visual merchandising is trendy, attractive, and has all the perks, not everyone can pull out bank loans, personal savings, and investors’ money to set up the perfect new shop in town.
Read ahead to find out what you can do to avoid a never-ending list of things to take care of in a physical store.
Got Something To Sell? Get Your Own Online Store In Minutes
Ab intizar ki nahi, download ki zaroorat hai!
Markaz can get your store up and running in no time. If you got something to sell, we got a place for you to sell.
The upside? You can start with zero investment, which means zero risk and absolutely no worries. Start now to earn up to Rs. 45,000 per month.
1- How is visual merchandising different from social commerce?
Visual merchandising and social commerce are related in terms of their ultimate goals. However, they are different in their approach to marketing and selling products.
Visual merchandising is focused on the physical presentation of products in a store while social commerce leverages the power of social media networks to connect with potential customers.
2- Is social commerce trending in Pakistan?
Yes! Social commerce is trending in Pakistan. With an increasing number of consumers using their smartphones for online shopping, social commerce has emerged as a popular way for retailers to reach and engage with customers in the country.